3.8L no start 2005 lesabre

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.

3.8L no start 2005 lesabre

Unread post by guest » Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:27 pm

i swapped a 3.8 in a n2005 lesabre. only runs if I spray gas in throttle body. no pulse to injectors. does cam sensor have input for that? previous engine blew heater core and head gasket because (i think) the fans didn't come on. speedometer was pegged below zero. is that ECM trouble?

carriedi

Re: 3.8L no start 2005 lesabre

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:50 pm

have you scanned it for codes?

No injector pulse: I would look for a crank and cam signal. If the ECM doesn't see the engine cranking over it won't send an injector pulse.

How do you blow a heater core? Was it actually leaking coolant under pressure?

Fans not coming on is more like a coolant sensor, fan relay or some other electrical malfunction. A scanner would let you know as the engine heats up if there is a fan request signal sent to the fan relays. And it would give you the engine temp according to the engine coolant sensor.

Is the security light on? You may have to do a key reset.

A scanner with data stream would really help you out. then you could see what is happening while you crank the engine and see if there are any codes stored in the ecm memory. If you don't have access to a scanner then if you can find a graphing multi-meter you can check for the cam and crank signals.

If the car was running before then the ecm is probably okay.

Unread post by guest » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:34 pm

security light is on how does one do a key reset?

As far as cracking the heater core(coolant leaking on passenger side floor), I believe some interruption of fan signal caused engine to over heat causing head gasket failure(constant bubbles at radiator fill?) and extreme pressure, but doesn't a hose break first? I replaced temp sensor; fans never came on. only when I unplugged sensor they came on or when AC turned on. thanks, Gene, Junction City OR

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:03 am

to reset the key for security:

https://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT%2077-0011.pdf

as for the temp sensor, the fans won't turn on until the temp gauge reaches about 3/4 to hot. around 225 degrees F. If you disconnect the sensor and the fans come on, or if you turn on the ac and the fans come on, then the ECM is working and the relay must be good. The best way to check the temp and fans is with a scanner. you can watch the temp. rise and see what temp the ECM sends a signal for fan request to energize the relays.