interior/dashboard lights not working

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
Armwrestler

interior/dashboard lights not working

Unread post by Armwrestler » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:37 pm

My 2002 Buick Century interior/dashboard lights don't always come on. Problem has been going on for about one plus years.Sometimes they will pop on but I never know if they will. I noticed entering a parking garage at dusk they popped on...later same day turned off car then when restarted they worked again in parking garage but several minutes later outside turned car off was under street lights then restarted car they would not come back on...I have checked and replaced the fuses this doesn't fix problem. My boyfriend dropped something under the steering column and came back up and banged his head hard on steering column then the lights came back on and worked for a month or two. I really need some help on this. My nephew and Dad are great at working on cars so if you cqn give me advice They can probably fix it...Thx :-) :-) :-)

ProTech

Re: interior/dashboard lights not working

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:52 pm

Most common problem for this type of situation is a bad Body Control Module. It is located under the dash near the steering column, so the banging of the head under there might be a good sign the problem is in that area. This would really need diagnosed by a GM dealership, and if you do in fact need a new BCM, the dealership is the only one who can do the job since it needs to be programmed and set up to your particular vehicle.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Armwrestler

Body Control Module

Unread post by Armwrestler » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:25 am

Thank you for your help...Do you think it could be a short to the BCM because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't...It was interesting that going into a dark garage caused it to pop my lights back on and when being outside under a street light it would they would not come on...thx again:-)

ProTech

Re: interior/dashboard lights not working

Unread post by ProTech » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:32 am

Well, normally, the light sensor on the dash will detect if it's dark or not and turn the lights on accordingly. In the parking garage it is probably dark enough that it should have the lights on, and sometimes outside, even when dark, if you're under a bright enough streetlamp the lights may go off. So that is pretty much normal.

As for the BCM, I rarely see a short in the wiring to the BCM. It is always an internal malfunction of the BCM causing something like this most times.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+