1997 buick lesabre it cranks and sputters but wont start

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
Rwash123

2003 Buick Lesabre - Crank Issues - PLEASE HELP

Unread post by Rwash123 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:44 pm

My 2003 Buick LeSabre is having a little bit of a problem, I have had the car for the last 4 years with no issues starting the vehicle. One day out of the blue the vehicle stalled and would not crank after multiple attempts. I waited for about 20 minutes and tried again...BOOM...car cranks on the first try but Check Engine light comes on... I take it to my local auto parts store to troubleshoot the check engine message and it read "Camshaft Position Sensor malfunction", at which I purchased a new sensor to resolve issue. Ironically the vehicle started up as normal for the next few days prior to any repair, check engine light no longer on. 2 days ago the problem resurfaces and I decided to take the vehicle to a local Midas to replace CPS, Midas tech advises that he replaced sensor but vehicle still having issues. What's going on here?!? I did a little research and it may be the Crankshaft sensor or a bad Ignition Control Module...Please help, this problem is pretty annoying!!

ProTech

Re: 2003 Buick Lesabre - Crank Issues - PLEASE HELP

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Yes, it could very well be an intermittent problem due to a bad crankshaft position sensor and/or ignition module. These are sometimes very hard to diagnose since it is tough to get to actually act up on command. The 3.8 engines are known for troublesome crank sensors and ignition modules. You could try replacing them and see what happens, but I usually recommend against just throwing parts at a car. It would be best to have a scanner present when it won't fire up to see if you're getting cranking rpm, that would tell you if in fact you do have a bad sensor or module, or even both!
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

mitzi66849

2004 Buick Regal will not start at times

Unread post by mitzi66849 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:30 pm

2004 buick regal 3800.Sometimes it starts like nothing is wrong with it and other times it takes at least 5 mins.Key turns,has good voltage but does nothing.Connections are tight.At times it starts all day.Can someone help? Thank you.

ProTech

Re: will not start at times

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:57 pm

Most likely an ignition switch problem. I've seen this quite a bit over the years and have replaced many for the same issue. I'd recommend replacing the ignition switch to fix your problem.

cowboy79

1997 buick lesabre it cranks and sputters but wont start

Unread post by cowboy79 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:35 pm

i have a 1997 buick lesabre replaced the head gaskets and up it started just fine. Just needed to jump battery. Ran and got code random misfire and random misfire cylinder #6. Replaced ign. coils and replaced battery now wont start. It cranks just fine getting fuel and getting spark. It wants to start but wont, any ideas out there.

thank you.
josh.

ProTech

Re: 1997 buick lesabre it cranks and sputters but wont start

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Well, if it's getting spark, I'd say you probably don't have a bad crank sensor or ignition module. You mention it is getting fuel, but did you actually do a fuel pressure check? You could be getting fuel, but not have enough pressure or volume to start the car. You should have about 45psi at the test port with the key on.

If fuel pressure checks ok, you may want to go over some of your previous work. Maybe a sensor came unplugged, or a wire broke, or there could be an internal problem with the engine (maybe try a compression test). Also, check to make sure you didn't pop any fuses or fusible links when you replaced the battery.