1998 Buick Regal Transmission Might Be Slipping

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
Shane

1998 Buick Regal Transmission Might Be Slipping

Unread post by Shane » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:23 am

1998 buick regal gs 3.8 supercharged. The transmission started slipping slightly for the last couple weeks mostly when going uphill. It felt a lot like a coil was goIng. It seemed to drive fine otherwise. No shuttering or major slipping. I drove the car for about an hour, stopped for a few min then drove again and my first stop after putting it in drive it just revved freely. Drive and reverse!

If I leave it a while it go's in gear and drives a few seconds then revs but looses drive as if it's in neutral. What does this sound like? Should I bother replacing filter to see if that makes a difference? Money is tight and hope there's something I can do myself!? Thanks in advance for any help in giving any feedback as to what this might be!

ProTech

Re: 1998 Buick Regal Transmission Might Be Slipping

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:22 pm

Unfortunately, this is just plain bad news. When the trans is slipping that badly, usually one or more internal parts has failed. If the fluid is dark or smells burned then you can pretty much bet the entire trans is smoked.

This isn't going to be a cheap repair, as you'll basically either be looking at a complete overhaul of the existing transmission, or putting a used trans or new trans in the car so it will drive.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Jay

Transmission Problems With 1990 Buick Park Ave

Unread post by Jay » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:10 am

My Buick Park Avenue car engine is revving between gears before engaging into the next higher gear.

Karl

Re: Transmission Problems With 1990 Buick Park Ave

Unread post by Karl » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:26 pm

This is what is called a slipping transmission. Nomally this means it is time for an overhaul or replacement.
You can try to do a fluid flush and filter change to see if that help, along with a transmission additive you can buy at any parts store.

If none of this helps, it is time for internal repairs. The thing is 22 years old ! :roll:
Read some SIMILAR questions down below for more help.
Check out our Photo Gallery