1998 LeSabre no start no codes

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
jimvee

1998 LeSabre no start no codes

Unread post by jimvee » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:58 am

1998 Buick LeSabre, 3800 eng. No start, original problem began with check eng light, now cranks well but no start. Checked codes with scanner, no codes present. Code reader does activate and seems to do a scan. Is ECM bad? would a defective coil leave a code?

ProTech

Re: 1998 LeSabre no start no codes

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:19 pm

If the vehicle cranks, I'd bet the ECM is ok since it controls the starter relay, and I've never seen a whole bunch of problems with the computers the LeSabre's.

I would probably start off by doing some basic checks, since you know it cranks ok. Two basics you should get out of the way first would be to check for spark and to check fuel pressure. You can either remove a spark plug wire from the coil or plug itself and check spark there while someone cranks the car over. If you have spark, you can assume that you have a good ignition module and crank sensor.

A fuel pressure check can be taken right off the fuel rail if you have a gauge. It should be at least 48-55psi with the key on and hold steady. If it less than 45psi or the pressure drops off right away, you probably have a bad fuel pump. Also, check the fuel pressure regulator for leaks too if the pressure drops off, but that won't usually cause a no start condition.

You might also want to just verify there are no trouble codes set by doing a scan one more time. You don't want to overlook anything. If both the spark and fuel check out, then you could be looking at a wiring problem, a sensor that is shorted out, or lastly and least likely a bad ECM.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

smurr44

1998 Regal battery light and no power

Unread post by smurr44 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:27 pm

I have a 1998 regal, My wife got in after allowing it to warm up for 15 mins and noticed the battery light was on and when she put it in gear all warning lights came on and she had very little acceleration. Could this be the mass air flow sensor or any ideas on what it could possibly be? Thanks

ProTech

Re: 1998 Regal battery light and no power

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:34 pm

The mass airflow sensor isn't going to cause the battery light to come on, but it can cause acceleration problems. I would first check your charging system, though, as there is probably something wrong in that area to cause the battery light to show up on the dash all the time. You could have a faulty alternator, battery or other issue.

I'd recommend getting that problem solved before you attempt any repairs for the hesitation, and that may even fix everything.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+