Question: I have a P0442 code. How can I get that fixed?

Mechanic: This code is a small
EVAP system leak. Check to make sure the gas cap is tight.

The gas cap inspection passed and the MIL is on.

What model and year vehicle?

Chevy malibu 2001.

Ok. You may have a faulty EVAP vent valve, or the seal on top of the tank is leaking vapor.

How can I get that fixed? Can you recommend a place for fixing it?

Testing of the system would need to be done to diagnose what is wrong. They will install a vapor pressure
station- a tool- then they can find the leak. Any local repair shop should be able to fix it. This is a fairly
common code.

Thanks for your help. :)
Mechanic Live Chat- Chevy Malibu P0442 and Crank Sensor Replacement

Did You Find Some Helpful Information?
© Copyright 2006 . JRKAZ,Inc.
Contact Us
Terms And Privacy Policy
<< Previous     Next >>
Question: I was looking to remove and clean my crank sensor, but it seems I would have to remove the belt.

Mechanic: Make and model vehicle please?

2003 Chevy Malibu 3.1 V6.

Why do you want to clean the crank sensor?

At the shop, they were going to charge me $600 for a crank sensor and cam sensor. At AutoZone, the man said
it may just be dirty...and it is.

Cleaning a crank sensor will not help any. If it is faulty it would need to be replaced. This requires removal of
the lower crank pulley.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Thanks! Actually, I did wipe what I could reach with a towel and it has started ever
since. Do you think that is just a coincidence?

You could try to spray it with some brake cleaner. That will wash any oil and dirt away.

I got the Lectra-motive, but I thought I would need to take the sensor off to use it.

If that is a spray, go ahead and try it, cant hurt !

Ok...thanks again.
Question: 2002 Chevy Malibu cranks over slow when cold can hook jumper cables up to it and it starts with no

Mechanic: Have you have the battery checked?

It shows to be good had 85% charge. Thought it might be starter replaced it son called said its doing it again.

OK. 85 % charge is not a very good test. It needs to be load tested. Batteries can have a good initial charge, but
drop way down under load. The load of the starter on a cold engine is much greater that on a warm engine- or
warm air temps.

I took it my local Autozone had it load tested they said it was good but i am not to sure their tester checked right.

Yes, if using jumper cables makes it crank better, then most likely the battery is weak.

I have come to that conclusion it is bad.

Yes, i would say so.

Glad i found this site thanks for the help.